Wednesday Word - 6/7/23GovDelivery1 day 10 hours ago
- Monday, 6/5-Friday, 6/9 - Remainder of Book Fair Week
- Thursday, 6/8 - Second Grade EOY Ceremonies
- Friday, 6/9 - Kindergarten Grade EOY Ceremonies
- Friday, 6/9 - FES PTA Luau, 5:30 pm-8:30pm
- Monday, 6/12 - Third Grade EOY Ceremonies
- Tuesday, 6/13 - Fourth Grade EOY Ceremonies
- Wednesday, 6/14 - Fifth Grade EOY Ceremonies
- Thursday, 6/15 - Sixth Grade EOY Ceremony, 10:00 AM in the Gym
- Friday, 6/16 - Talent Show 9:00 AM -11:00 AM
- Friday, 6/16 - Last Day of School, 2 Hour Early Release
End of Year Recognition Ceremonies Schedule and Procedures
Below are the guidelines for this year’s end-of-year ceremonies:
- Parking will be available in the parking lot behind the building off Kathmoor Dr.
- Visitors will enter and exit through the rear gym doors, located off the blacktop.
- Ceremonies will last approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Please do not bring food, drink, or gifts (no balloons, etc.) to the ceremony.
- If you have other children at Franconia who you wish to attend their sibling’s EOY ceremony, please coordinate that with their teacher (you can find all staff email links in our online staff directory).
- If you wish to take your child/children home with you at the conclusion of the ceremony, you will sign them out with a Franconia employee stationed at the exterior gym doors.
Please direct any questions to your child’s teacher.
Thursday, 6/8 (second grade)
- 12:00 - Yortzidis
- 12:45 - Octaviano
- 1:30 - Dennison
- 2:15 - Webbs
Friday, 6/9 (kindergarten)
- 9:15 - Allen
- 10:15 - Channon
- 11:15 - Tran
Monday, 6/12 (third grade)
- 12:00 - Pina
- 1:00 - Stump
- 2:00 - Haffner/ Ms. Jo
Tuesday, 6/13 (fourth grade)
- 12:30 - Blum
- 1:30 - Yezefski
- 2:30 - Rim
Wednesday, 6/14 (fifth grade)
- 12:00 - Hodge
- 12:45 - Pater
- 1:30 - Dickerson
Thursday, 6/15 (sixth grade) .
- 10:00 - All sixth grade classes
The Book Fair is Here! Sign up to Volunteer
There is still time to enjoy the Book Fair! Students can visit during the school day, now through June 9th. Families may shop after school on Friday, June 9 during the Luau!
Volunteers sign up here:
FES PTA Summer Luau Friday, June 9th 5:30-8:30pm Volunteers needed!
Are you ready for the BIGGEST end-of-year celebration Franconia Elementary has ever seen?!? Join us on Friday, June 9 from 5:30-8:30 in the back lot for FES Summer Luau!
* FREE Baby Shark appearance by The Fantastical Character Company!
* FREE Capitol Snow snow cones to the first 300 Franconia Elementary students (adult/additional $3 each)
* FREE popcorn until supplies run out
* FREE leis to all kids
* FREE Train Rides, Games, Face Paint, Airbrush Tattoos, Spin Art & More!
* DUNK TANK holding your favorite FES teachers
* Unforgettable performance by Meki's Tamure Polynesian Arts Group (bring a blanket to sit on to watch comfortably)
* Concessions sold by Franconia PTA (cash and credit cards accepted)
CLICK HERE to sign up to volunteer!
Volunteers will be entered into a raffle for one of 10 "Skip The Line" passes!
One raffle entry for each hour you volunteer, as indicated in the Sign Up Genius or approved by organizer Jaime Frittman. Each Skip the Line pass is good for ONE event or station only. Skip the Line raffle drawing will take place prior to event start and distributed at volunteer check-in. Winner does not need to be present at the time of drawing to win, but must claim their pass from volunteer check-in by 7:00pm.
Franconia ES PTA After School Survey
The PTA is collecting anonymous feedback on your experience this year, and on the kinds of after school activities you would like to see at Franconia next year. This is an anonymous survey, so your name will not be requested and will not appear in the results. Please consider completing a survey to help make after school programming as strong as possible. The link to the survey is:
Please reach out to Matt at [email protected] with any questions.
Defining "The Penguin Way" We Need Your Help!
When Franconia’s mascot was the mustang, student behaviors were guided by the Mustang TROTS (truthful, respectful, own their choices, try their best, and stay safe). Now that we are the Franconia Penguins, we have a unique opportunity to restructure behavior expectations and refocus our students, staff, and community on what it means to be a Franconia Penguin. The Penguin Way will reflect our core values as a school and community.
Why do we need your help? Well, we want input from not only our staff, but our students and community as well! We want this new Penguin Way to be a collaboration between all stake holders in Franconia Elementary School. If you would like to be involved, please answer this survey which will ask you your opinion on our new collaborative effort. Your answers will be anonymous and will be taken into consideration while completing this task over the summer months. Thank you for your constant support! If you have further questions, please email Jillian Borsos (Committee Lead) at [email protected].
Counselor's Corner Mindfulness at Franconia Update
At Franconia, we have the unique opportunity of creating a mindfulness lab using our wellness ESSER funds. Mindfulness is all about being in the present moment. In the lab, we have created opportunities for students to be in the present moment by creating mindfulness centers. Students can explore different mindfulness centers such as reading, breathing, art, affirmations, games and mindful movement. This space has provided an opportunity for student wellness by causing students to relax mentally, emotionally and physically. Also in the lab, as special treat to our students, we have a comfort dog named Charlie who visits with classes in the lab!
Take a look at one of our spotlighted classes in the mindfulness lab:
Students had fun participating in mindfulness centers in Mrs. Blum's Class! https://flip.com/s/8HnfrBicjXn1
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Character Trait for the Month
May's character trait was Resilience-When things are hard, you don't give up, but bounce back. Enjoy this video of our Resilience award winners: https://flip.com/s/dct5Kw2XKrAc
Lost and Found
Our lost and found is overflowing with jackets, water bottles and other items that need to find their way home! Lost and found is currently located in the back of the gym - take a moment to check the lost and found after attending your student's end of year ceremony. All unclaimed items will be donated on the last day of school.
ST Math Summer Learning
In collaboration with the FCPS Family Resource Center, the Math Office is offering a free webinar on Thursday, June 8, 2023, from 7-8 p.m. This webinar is designed to provide families of students currently in grades K-6 with resources to continue their math learning over the summer utilizing ST Math. During this session participants will learn how to log on and navigate the tool, discuss how students can work more independently, and how families can support their students.
Edison Tennis Camp Learn How to Play Tennis!
Lessons are open to students in Grades 3 - 12
June 20th - 24th
at the Edison HS tennis courts, 5801 Franconia Rd, Alexandria, VA 22310
Weekly Rate: $150 for beginners | $200 for advanced
Daily Rate: $40/day for beginners | $50/day for advanced
Hurry Space is Limited!
Contact Coach W at [email protected]
or use the QR code below to sign up!
Sponsored by the Edison Booster Club
LMVSC Registration Now Open SUMMER Soccer Camp Basketball
FALL Flag Football Rec Soccer
(Registration for fall sports opens June 10th)
SIGN UP TODAY
Play with Friends
2 Year Old - High School Programs
Additional information available at WWW.LMVSC.ORG
Calling All New Kindergarteners!
Any families who have an incoming kindergartener for the 2023-24 school year are invited to sign up for an optional kindergarten summer assessment time in August. This will be a brief 20 minute visit with a kindergarten teacher to let us get to know their strengths before starting school. Families can sign up here- Kindergarten Summer Assessment Sign Up
June Calendar Reminders
June 16 - Last Day of School (early dismissal)
The last day of the 2022-23 school year is Friday, June 16, and students will be dismissed 2 hours early. Dismissal at Franconia will be at 1:30 pm on the 16th.
Tutoring Grants Available
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is now accepting applications from parents for tutoring microgrants for their children through the K-12 Learning Acceleration Grants program.
The program was created to help Virginia families address the impact of the pandemic on student learning. It provides $1,500 grants to parents of school-age children for tutoring in specific subjects. Children from homes with family incomes at 300% or less of the federal poverty level may qualify for $3,000 grants.
Available services include in-person, online, and hybrid tutoring provided one-on-one or in small group or large group settings. The first step in the process is to visit VDOE’s K-12 Learning Acceleration Grants page and create an application account.
Please remember to notify the school office of any of the following changes that come up for your child.
Notification should be made by 9:00am on the day of the change.
- Late arrival
- Planned early pick-up or mid-day appointment (pick-up and return)
- If your child needs to be picked up unexpectedly, please call the office (703-822-2200) in advance of your arrival
- This allows the office to contact your child’s teacher to prepare your child for their departure
- For early pick-ups after 3:00pm, please park on Kathmoor as the school buses start to arrive for dismissal at that time and the front parking lot will be off limits
- Changes in dismissal mode (https://franconiaes.fcps.edu/about/change-dismissal-form)
Below are the 3 options by which to notify the school office (choose one option):
- [email protected]
- Online attendance form - https://franconiaes.fcps.edu/attendance-form
Please do this IN ADDITION to contacting your child's teacher. There could be times when the teacher is absent and, by also contacting the office, the information will be properly noted.
To email your child’s teacher, click HERE.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
FCPS CARES Recognize FCPS Employees
FCPS Cares is an opportunity for parents, staff, and community members to recognize FCPS employees for going above and beyond to help others and show they care.
The start of the school year is a great time to acknowledge someone who has helped to make your child's return to school amazing.
Learn how you can acknowledge an FCPS employee for their great work.FCPS Parent Resource Center Dunn Loring Center for Parent Services 2334 Gallows Road, Entrance 1, Room 105 Dunn Loring, VA
The FCPS Parent Resource Center (PRC) offers a welcoming and engaging environment for families, educators, and community members.
PARENT RESOURCE CENTER CONTACT INFO:
Email: [email protected]
- The PRC offers free, confidential in-person, videoconference, and phone consultations for families and FCPS staff.
- Appointments are highly encouraged.
- They can brainstorm strategies and possible solutions to help you address your concerns by drawing upon resources and support from FCPS, as well as community, state, and national centers.
- The PRC maintains a list of current FCPS employees who hold a valid and current teaching license in VA and want to tutor after their contracted school day.
- Contact the PRC at 703-204-3941 or [email protected] for more information.
FREE LENDING LIBRARY:
- Come explore the library for families and staff, 8:00am-4:00pm
- The library contains over 10,000 books, eBooks, DVDs, and CDs on topics related to parenting and educating all children, including those with learning challenges, special needs, and disabilities.
- Check out up to 6 items and keep them for 3 weeks. Renewals are easy - just call or email us.
- Find library resources to support your child with help from the Parent Resource Center staff.
- Call us and we can have library materials ready for you to pick up.
- Return library materials to us 24/7 in our book return or use the FCPS inter-office mail. Contact us for details.
- Register here - https://bit.ly/3hSRIZW
- Watch recorded webinars - https://bit.ly3rpPl3Q
- To turn videos into preferred languages, open a video - choose any video on YouTube and follow these directions to have closed-captioning in your preferred language:
- Click the CC button - make sure it is underlined in red.
- Click the settings button - it looks like a gear.
- Click subtitles.
- Click auto-translate.
- Choose a language.
Penguin Points Click on a link for information
Franconia Elementary School website
- Health Room
- Parent Resources (registration, SIS Parent Vue, Cafeteria, and BYOD)
- Inclement Weather
- SIS Parent Vue
- School Menus
- FCPS School Calendar
- FCPS Main Website
6301 Beulah Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22310 | Office: 703-822-2200