Safety & Security/Visiting Our School
Safety - Our Mutual Priority
All exterior doors are locked during the school day
- All visitors must go to Entrance #1 on Beulah Street to gain access to the building. Visitors will ring the bell to contact the front office; they can remotely unlock the door (second door from the bell).
- To maintain the momentum of instruction, items brought to the office for students during school hours (lunches, homework, materials, etc.) will be held in the office for students to pick up.
Check-in and check-out procedures
Franconia has an automated system for visitors. Each visitor will be required to:
- Scan his or her driver's license (a passport or walker's license is acceptable)
- Provide the location and reason for the visit
- Be photographed
Everyone while on school property must wear a badge. Anyone without a badge will be escorted to the main office.
Throughout the school year, all Fairfax County Public Schools are required to conduct the following safety drills for student and staff understanding and fluency in applying these procedures in the most efficient and effective manner possible, in order to ensure safety and security for all.
- Fire Drills- once per week through September, then monthly for the remainder of the school year
- Lockdown Drills- one in September and one in January
- Tornado Drills- one in March
- Bus Emergency Drills- one at the beginning of the school year and one at the beginning of the second semester (February)
Our teachers will be preparing and be practicing with our students to make these drills and experiences as orderly and effective as possible. They will be teaching the foundational understanding that these practices are precautionary to keep us all safe if a dangerous situation presented itself.
Please take a moment to discuss the importance of these drills with your child and contact your child's teacher with any questions you might have.